City of Forest Hill
Forest Hill has existed as a community since approximately 1860. It started as a farming community, gradually becoming a village and has grown to a thriving, diverse mix of almost 13,000 residents. It was incorporated on March 16, 1946.
It was originally known as Brambleton Station, and then Forest Hill Village. Settlers found the land attractive with its meadows and woods and the area began to grow. By 1905, there were two streets in town - Old Mansfield Road and Forest Hill Drive. An electric interurban street car ran from Cleburne through Forest Hill and on into Fort Worth hourly in the 1900’s.
Around 1912, citizens felt the need for a city water supply and thus drilled what was called a “crooked hole well.” This was the first private water system and was used until the early 1940’s. By 1944, the Trentman Company and the Johnson Campbell Company began building homes. These developments forced the owners of the private water system to realize the need for a more adequate water supply. Thus, the system was sold to the Texas Water Company.
George Wright was elected the first Mayor and served in 1946. He died in office and
S.E. Bostick was voted into office in January, 1947. In 1949, after the city reached a population of 500, it petitioned to change from being labeled a “village” to a “city.” The City of Forest Hill was born on April 8, 1949.
By 1954, the Volunteer Fire Department, the Police Department and the Corporation Court had been created. The population continued to increase and the need for expansion of the water system was great. In 1955, the City Council engaged the services of engineers and plans began to take form to improve these facilities. A bond election was held and the City of Forest Hill was authorized by the people to sell bonds and purchase the water system from the Texas Water Company and install its own sewer system, build a disposal plant and install transmission mains and lines so that all septic tanks could be phased out.
The city grew in the 60’s and by the early 70’s the Forest Hill Home Rule Charter was approved giving the City the power to annex adjoining land and to better govern itself. Since that time, with careful planning and management, the City has become financially stable and continues to be a major player along the I-20 corridor.
As residents, businesses and city government work together to build positive relationships, economic and residential growth will flourish now and into the next century. As we plan projects and events for our community, we will strive to focus on innovation and integrity and make improvements for the city.
As it has since 1860, teamwork will guide the City of Forest Hill down the road of opportunity and heighten the spirit of being truly Community Driven.
Search City of Forest Hill Homes for Sale
Our Covenant Realty, LLC
MKV Real Estate, LLC
Cisneros Real Estate Solutions
Any home sales data appearing on this page is obtained from public record sources (or estimates, for non-disclosure states) as provided by OnBoard, LLC and does not comprise an appraisal or a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA). This information should not be used to replace a professional appraisal nor to determine the price of a particular property.